Manually converting 40 blog posts into markdown to re-import them into a WordPress blog was repetitive and slow. But that’s why I enjoy using vim, an extensible editor.
It lets me take repetitive tasks and chain them together into a single function. And I can script complex edits into one shortcut to make my workflow more efficient, like:
- Combine multiple blanks lines into one
- Generate slugs names from titles
- Fix capitalization of titles
- Execute a macro to renumber lists
- Preform regular expression substitutions
- Add or remove surroundings chars like
Doing a little tool sharpening pays back in big time savings.